Version 1.01 | Effective Date: April 1, 2020 | LAST UPDATED: June 5, 2020
By visiting http://www.demiplane.com you are accepting the practices described in this Policy.
This shorter version of the Policy includes only highlights of the Policy. You should also read more about the information we collect and how we use it, the meaning of ‘cookie,’ and other privacy issues in the long version of our Policy below.
Demiplane cares about the privacy of our Game Masters, Adventurers, partners, and users. We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent. We do not disclose it to others except as set forth in this Policy or as required to provide you with the services of the Site and its related sites, applications and services. In other words, we do not disclose your data other than as described in this Policy, including to enable users to connect, message, interact and transact payments for marketplace goods; enable users to contribute to their adventure-specific journals; enable users to pay for Game Master services (and allow Game Masters to accept these payments); enable users to post reviews and so on; or to fulfill a legal obligation.
We collect information that you provide to us or voluntarily share with other users. We also collect some general technical information that is automatically gathered by our systems, such as IP address, browser information, and cookies to enable you to have a better user experience and a more personalized browsing experience.
We will not share registration information that you provide us – including your contact information – except as described in this Policy.
Information that you choose to publish on the Site (photos, hypertext links, text, reviews, payments transacted) is no longer private, just like any information you publish online, and may be shared with other users.
Technical information that is gathered by our systems or third party systems may automatically be used for Site operation, optimization, analytics, content promotion, and enhancement of user experience. In accordance with applicable law, we may use your information to contact you to provide notices related to your activities or offer you promotions and general updates, but we do not permit any other person, including Game Masters and Adventurers, to contact you, other than through your user profile on the Site.
You can exercise your rights over your personal information by opening a Customer Relations ticket. If you do not have an active Demiplane account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. More details about the rights applicable to you are in the long version of the Policy
Demiplane respects your privacy and we use reasonable efforts to protect the personal information of our users, including all Adventurers, Game Masters, collaborators, and other visitors browsing the Site as well as affiliates, influencers, and other collaborators interacting with the Site. We believe that you have a right to know our practices regarding the information we collect when you visit and/or use the Site. This Policy explains our privacy practices for the Site and for the services provided by Demiplane. By accessing and/or using the Site and its related sites, applications, services, goods; registering for a Demiplane account and/or using it as a collaborator to share comments on a specific Adventure; and/or registering as a Game Master, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Policy, including our collection, use, disclosure, processing, and retention of your personal information. This Policy includes information about how to limit the sharing of your personal information.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Information you provide to us.
Personal information you provide to us through the Site or otherwise, which includes:
- Personal contact information: such as your first and last name, a valid email address, a mailing/physical address, phone number, or other contact details
- Registration Information: when you register with the Site, use it as a collaborator, and/or register with our affiliate, influencer, or similar program, we may ask you to provide certain information related to such service
- Profile information: such as your username and password that you may set to establish an online account with us, your photograph, interests and preferences
- Content you choose to upload to the Site: such as text, images, audio, video, along with the metadata associated with the files you upload
- Demographic Information: such as your city, state, country of residence, postal code, and age
- Transaction Information: such as information about payments to and from you and other details of products or services you have purchased from us
- Feedback or correspondence: such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, or otherwise correspond with us or other users of Demiplane online
- Marketing information: such as your preference for receiving communications about our activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with our communications
Information we obtain from social media platforms.
If you choose to login to the Site via a third-party platform or social media network, or otherwise connect your account on the third-party platform or network to your Demiplane account, we may collect information from that platform or network. For example, this information may include your Facebook username, user ID, profile picture, cover photo, and networks to which you belong (e.g., school, workplace). You may also have the opportunity to provide us with additional information via the third-party platform or network, such as a list of your friends or connections and your email address.
Information we obtain from other third parties.
We may receive personal information about you from third-party sources. For example, an individual may share your contact information with us if you have expressed interest in learning specifically about our products or services, or the types of products or services we offer. We may obtain your personal information from other third parties, such as marketing partners, publicly-available sources and data providers.
Usage Information, Cookies and Other Information Collected by Automated Means.
We collect information while you access, browse, view, or otherwise use the Site. In other words, when you access the Site, we are aware of your usage of the Site, and we gather, collect and record information relating to such usage including IP address, device and connection information, browser information, web-log information, and all communications recorded by users through the Site.
HOW DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION?
Information you provide to us.
You directly provide us with most of the information we collect. You do this by filling out the registration details on the Site, linking accounts of other social networks (please also see the External Links section below) to your Demiplane account, completing Adventure hosting or matching forms, and customer surveys (if any), as well as by posting and sharing additional information voluntarily.
Information collected through third parties.
We also collect information from third party vendors, partners, and/or other commercially available sources such as data aggregators and public databases, who provide us data to supplement the information we collect about you, in accordance with applicable laws. For example, we may receive fraud warnings from service providers for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts.
Information collected through automatic means.
We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you or your computer, and activity occurring on or through the Service, including but not limited, Internet Protocol (IP) address, software configuration, operating system, your computer operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, device identifier (such as the Google Advertising ID), screen resolution, the website you visited before browsing to our website, general location information such as city, state or geographic area; information about your use of and actions on the Service, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access; and other personal information. Our service providers and business partners may collect this type of information over time and across third-party websites. We may use this information to enhance user experience, personalize your browsing experience, as well as monitor the Site for preventing fraud and inappropriate content or behavior.
On our Site, this information is collected using cookies (please see Cookies section for additional information), browser web storage (also known as locally stored objects, or “LSOs”), web beacons, and similar technologies, and our emails may also contain web beacons.
A “cookie”, which is discussed further below in the “Cookies” section, is a text file that websites send to a visitor‘s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. Browser web storage, or LSOs, are used for similar purposes as cookies. Browser web storage enables the storage of a larger amount of data than cookies. A “web beacon,” also known as a pixel tag or clear GIF, is typically used to demonstrate that a webpage was accessed or that certain content was viewed, typically to measure the success of our marketing campaigns or engagement with our emails and to compile statistics about usage of our websites.
When you visit the Site, we use industry-wide technologies such as “cookies” (or similar technologies), which store certain information on your computer and may allow us, among other things, to enable automatic sign-in to the Site, make your browsing much more convenient and effortless, test user experience and offer you personalized browsing or promotions. By continuing to use this Site, you are agreeing to our placing of cookies on your computer or device in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
The following is a more detailed explanation of the types of cookies we use:
- Necessary cookies
Necessary cookies are essential and help you navigate the Site. This helps to support security and basic functionality and are necessary for the proper operation of the Site, so, if you block these cookies, we cannot guarantee your experience or the security during your visit.
- Functionality cookies
- Performance cookies
Performance cookies help us to understand the behavior of users of the Site. This allows us to improve the Site and to provide information in support of our project aims. These cookies are also used to help us understand how effective our Site is; for instance, these cookies tell us which pages visitors go to most often and if they get error messages from web pages. All information that these cookies collect is aggregated. Some of these cookies are managed by third parties, and you may refer to the third parties’ own website privacy notifications for further information. In particular, we use Google Analytics cookies to obtain an overall view of user habits and volumes and to help improve the overall experience on the Site. Google Analytics is a third-party web analysis service provided by Google LLC, which uses performance cookies and targeting cookies. The information generated by these cookies about your use of the Site (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google LLC on servers in the United States.
If you prevent these cookies, we cannot guarantee how the Site will perform for you.
CAN YOU BLOCK OR DELETE COOKIES?
We shall store a cookie on your computer or device so that we can store your preferences and save you time on subsequent visits by eliminating the need to repeatedly enter the same data. You may set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. You should do this through the browser settings for each browser you use. Please be aware that some of our services will not function if your browser does not accept cookies. However, you can allow cookies from specific websites by making them “trusted websites” in your internet browser.
The following links may assist you in managing your cookies settings, or you can use the ‘help’ option in your internet browser for more details:
Information on deleting or controlling cookies is also available at www.aboutcookies.org (note that this website is not provided by Demiplane, and we therefore cannot ensure its accuracy, completeness or availability). It is important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. For example, cookies may, in certain cases, save you from the need to enter usernames and passwords, and allow session continuity.
HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED?
Where relevant under applicable laws, all processing of your personal information will be justified by a “condition” for processing. In the majority of cases, processing will be justified on the basis that:
- you have provided your consent for us to use your personal information for a specific purpose;
- our use of your personal information is necessary to perform or facilitate a contract or take steps to enter into a contract with you (e.g., to connect you with services which you have purchased);
- the processing is necessary to comply with a relevant laws, legal obligation or regulatory obligation that we have (e.g., fraud prevention); or
- the processing is necessary to support our legitimate interests as a business (e.g., to improve our services to you).
We may use your personal information to:
- provide you with any services, to operate the Site, perform our obligations to you, provide support and maintenance for the Site, improve the Site and respond to your requests, questions and feedback
- verify your identity, establish and set up your Demiplane account, verify or re-issue a password, log your activity, enable your communications with other members, provide customer support, and contact you from time to time
- help us develop and improve our services to you and customize and personalize your experience (including by making Adventure suggestions, ranking search results, etc.)
- connect your username and information provided in your profile as journal activity that is specific to each Adventure which may be made visible to users who are in the same Adventures as you are while using the Site
- enhance community integrity, prevent fraud, and maintain a safe and secure marketplace (for example, we use your information to track and prevent fraudulent and other inappropriate activities and monitor content integrity, conduct security investigations and risk assessments, verify or authenticate information provided by you, enforce our Terms of Service, and comply with applicable laws)
- conduct certain behavioral analytics to achieve the above objectives and, in limited cases, if we detect activity that we think poses a risk to the Demiplane community, other users, our Game Masters and Adventurers, or third parties, automated processes may restrict or limit your ability to use Demiplane. If you would like to challenge any such decision, please contact us at email@example.com.
- promote and advertise the Site (e.g., we use the information collected from you for the purpose of sending direct marketing messages (as detailed below), to show you information that may be of interest to you, and to organize and facilitate referral programs, contests or other promotional activities or events)
- maintain appropriate business records, comply with lawful requests by public authorities, comply with applicable laws and regulations, or as otherwise required by law
We may also create anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Site and promote our business.
HOW WILL WE USE YOUR INFORMATION IN DIRECT MARKETING?
- We use your personal information to send you direct marketing communications about our products, services, or promotions from Demiplane that may be of interest to you. This may be via email, post, or targeted online advertisements.
- In most cases, our processing of your personal information for marketing purposes is based on our legitimate interest, although some cases (such as where required by law) will be based on your consent. You have a right to prevent direct marketing of any form at any time – this can be exercised by following the opt-out link attached to each communication or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We take steps in an effort to limit direct marketing to a reasonable and proportionate level and to send you communications which we believe may be of interest or relevance to you based on the information we have about you.
WHY DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent.
We provide your personal details to third parties only in order to operate the Site, provide our services to you, fulfil obligations imposed on us by applicable laws and regulations, and prevent fraud and illegal activities, as detailed below:
- We share your information with service providers that provide us with services for the purpose of operating the Site, opening and operating your Demiplane account, as well as providing ancillary services (example – payment vendors, forum hosting, community management services, IT SaaS services, mailing systems, or technical consultants). Our contracts with these service providers do not permit the use of your information for their own (marketing) purposes. Consistent with applicable legal requirements, we take commercially reasonable steps to require third parties to adequately safeguard your personal information and only process it in accordance with our instructions.
- We will share your information with law enforcement agencies, public authorities or other organizations to respond to a subpoena, court order, or judicial process. We will also share your information with regulatory authorities if we believe we are required to do so by law or that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with legal processes. Additionally, your information will be shared when we believe it is necessary or appropriate to disclose personal information to law enforcement authorities, such as to investigate actual or suspected fraud or violations of law, breaches of security, or breaches of this Policy; to respond to claims against us; and to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Demiplane, our customers, or the public.
- We share your information with payment processors, fraud detection agencies, and similar third parties for the purpose of securing the site and protecting it against fraud, unauthorized transactions (such as money laundering), claims, or other liabilities.
- We share your information to help facilitate interactions between users. For example, if you are an Adventurer, we may share certain limited information about you (such as the fact it is your first adventure on Demiplane) with the Game Master to enhance the experience you receive from the Game Master will fit your needs; such sharing of information is limited in scope, will not include personal identifying information, and is only intended to improve the services provided by the Game Master and your user experience.
- If you have enabled features or functionality that connect the Service to a third-party platform or social media network (such as by logging in to the Service using your Demiplane account with the third-party, providing your API key or similar access token for the Service to a third-party, or otherwise linking your Demiplane account with the Service to a third-party’s services), we may disclose the personal information that you authorized us to share. We do not control the third party’s use of your personal information.
- We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
- Your personal information will also be disclosed if we go through a business transition such as a merger, sale, transfer of all or a portion of Demiplane’s assets, acquisition, bankruptcy, or similar event. In the event that we sell any business or assets, we will disclose your data to the prospective buyer. If we, or substantially all of our assets, are acquired by a third party, information held by us about our users will be one of the transferred assets.
Please note, your username, picture, Adventures allowing for matched users, journal entries, and ‘to do’ items are visible to users of the Site. When you publish your information and/or share your data with other Demiplane users, you do so at your own risk. While Demiplane strives to protect your privacy and our Terms of Service require our users not to improperly use or further disclose the data shared with them, Demiplane cannot ensure that all users will do so.
WHAT ARE YOUR CHOICES?
In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to all users.
- Access or Update Your Information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your Demiplane account profile by logging into the account.
- Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us at email@example.com.
- Targeted online advertising. Some of the business partners that collect information about users’ activities on or through the Site may be members of organizations or programs that provide choices to individuals regarding the use of their browsing behavior for purposes of targeted advertising.
Users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the Network Advertising Initiative by clicking here or the Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking here. Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in the opt-out mechanisms that we linked above.
If you choose to opt-out of targeted advertisements, you will still see advertisements online but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you do choose to opt out, not all companies that serve online behavioral advertising are included in this list, so you may still receive some cookies and tailored advertisements from companies that are not listed.
- Choosing not to share your personal information. Where we are required by law to collect your personal information, or where we need your personal information in order to provide the Site to you, if you do not provide this information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with our services. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive the Site by designating it as required at the time of collection or through other appropriate means.
- Third-party platforms or social media networks. If you choose to connect to your Demiplane account via a third-party platform or social media network, you may have the ability to limit the information that we may obtain from the third-party at the time you login to your Demiplane account using the third-party’s authentication service or otherwise connect your Demiplane account. Subsequently, you may be able to control your settings through the third-party’s platform or service. For example, you may access and change your settings through the Facebook settings page for apps and websites. If you withdraw our ability to access certain information from a third-party platform or social media network, that choice will not apply to information that we have already received from that third party.
WHERE DO WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Some of the personal information you provide to us will be stored or processed on our behalf by third party suppliers and data processors and may be located in other jurisdictions whose laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. Whether to third parties or internally, any transfers of personal information from the European Economic Area (“EEA”) to countries not deemed to provide an adequate level of data protection are governed by European Union (EU) standard contractual clauses, or in the case of the United States, the EU – US Privacy Shield, and/or equivalent data transfer regulations to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information. We will take reasonably necessary steps to treat your personal information securely and in accordance with this Policy.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
We apply a general rule of keeping personal information only for as long as is required to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. However, in some circumstances, we may retain your personal information for longer periods of time. We may retain your information for the following purposes:
- as long as it is necessary and relevant for our operations, e.g., so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenge; and
- in relation to personal information from closed accounts to comply with applicable laws, prevent fraud, collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Site Terms of Service, and take other actions as permitted by law.
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
Our Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 should provide any personal information to us or on the Site. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. Parents and guardians should, at all times, supervise their children’s activities. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13, we will delete that personal information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take care in maintaining the security of the Site and your information, however, the transmission of data via the internet is not completely secure, and, although we will protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site. Any transmission is at your own risk.
Further information about our data security practices can be provided on request.
DO NOT TRACK
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under California Civil Code section 1798.83, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to us via email at email@example.com. You must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in your request and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate and up to date. In the event that you believe your information is in any way incorrect or inaccurate, please let us know immediately. We will investigate the matter and correct any inaccuracies as quickly as possible where necessary or give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. If for any reason you have a problem with deleting your personal information, please contact Demiplane’s Customer Support and we will make reasonable efforts to delete any such information pursuant to any applicable privacy laws.
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Site and visiting your profile page.
If you delete your User Generated Content (“UGC”), as defined in the Demiplane Terms of Service, from the Site, copies of your UGC may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or might have been copied or stored by other Site users. Proper access and use of information provided on the Site, including UGC, is governed by our Terms of Service.
To exercise any of your rights in connection with your personal information, we kindly ask that you open a Customer Relations ticket. Please include all the relevant details, so your ticket can be handled correctly. We will process any requests in line with any local laws and our policies and procedures. If you do not have an active Demiplane account, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions (or comments) concerning this Policy, please email our team at email@example.com, and we will make an effort to reply within a reasonable timeframe.